Getting into Greece – Day 3 – Sami

Our final full day saw us return to a place we loved in 2015, Sami. It is a lovely fishing port on the other side of the Island from Svoronata. We thought we remembered how to get there but nearly ended up taking the same route we took last year, which was a long and winding journey that took us over an hour. We eventually found the quicker way, which, in Kefalonia, is still a long and winding journey.

As with everywhere, pretty much everything was closed. We anticipated that the place we dined at in 2015 would be open, and hurrah! it was. Faros Restaurant is the oldest eating facility in Sami.
Last year we dined on swordfish and our mouths were watering at the thought of more. Sadly. they had virtually nothing available. The only fish option was Gavros which are fried anchovies. not the best fish dish but it was ok.

After out let down at lunch we went for a walk along the seafront admiring the ferries and fishing boats that are full of colour. We saw on our trusty road map that there was a beach not far and we headed over (another) mountain to Antisammos.

This.place.is.beautiful.

I quickly changed in the car not caring if I was on show – I needed to swim here.

The water, like everywhere, was cold at first but in about 30 seconds was absolutely lovely. I had a nice splash about enjoying the serenity (only a smattering of other people around). I would recommend this place for people who like to swim in the sea but don’t like waves (me). It gets very deep, very quickly so not ideal for kids or non-confident swimmers. I’m 5’6 and after only heading out
about 3m was in over my head!

Sadly we couldn’t stay too long as we wanted to get back to the hotel and rested before our Koutoupas Paradise date!

As promised we were met with smiles and rabbit, Kefalonian style. This is basically a rabbit and tomato stew but the best I’ve ever had in the way of rabbit. It was so, so tender and full of flavour and just how I remembered it.

Our Koutoupas friends were sad to learn we had to leave the next day but we assured them we would return. One last thing to mention about Koutoupas is Lira, the small white fluffy dog, who guards the entrance. She is delightful and loves belly rubs.

It was sad to say goodbye to Kefalonia. I wish in a way we could have stayed longer but I knew my holidays are limited and I’ve got some other exciting trips on the horizon.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Getting into Greece – Zakynthos – Part 1

Competition Time!

Official Book Cover – Heart